Welcome to St. Thomas Marriage Preparation
Welcome! Congratulations on your engagement! It is our privilege to help you prepare for your life together in this wonderful sacrament, and we are prepared to do just that.
We know that you have come to this page because there is some basic information that you would like to know, so let’s start with this:
Wedding Days and Times
Weddings at St. Thomas are on Saturdays at either 12:30 PM or 6:30 PM.
- Either the bride or groom must be Catholic.
- Both must be free to marry in the Catholic Church.
- One or both must live within the parish boundaries and/or be registered here at St. Thomas, or have some kind of historical connection with the parish such as through family or a previous membership.
- If you have any questions about any of these, please contact Meg Hogan at email@example.com.
Time Needed for Preparation
- If you are planning on being married at St. Thomas Aquinas, you need to contact us a minimum of 6-9 months in advance of your desired date.
- If you are planning to be married in another Church here in Dallas or in a Church in another city or country, please contact us a minimum of 9 months or earlier in advance of the wedding date.
Couples Now Living Together
You are aware that the Catholic Church does not approve of couples living together before marriage, nor is such a living arrangement in harmony with gospel values.
We are happy to witness your marriage so that your living arrangements can be brought into harmony with God’s laws. However, we would strongly encourage you to consider living apart during this very critical time of discernment.
It is profoundly important that your choice to marry is one that is made with total freedom, and that freedom can more readily be achieved if you are living separately or, at least, living in a chaste relationship.
We know that God will bless your decision for embracing a true and honest discernement for marriage.
We recognize, however, that in today's word, it may be impractical to live separately. If you cannot do so, however, we strongly encourage you to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation prior to your wedding.
Whether you plan to marry at St. Thomas or some other Church, registering for and attending the Marriage Orientation Meeting is the essential first step in marriage preparation here at St. Thomas Aquinas.
At this meeting, you will:
- Be introduced to the Catholic vision of marriage
- Learn the details of preparing for marriage
- Be instructed on how to register for the Prepare/Enrich survey, the on-line pre-marital couple assessment required by our parish
- Be informed about how to schedule your first meeting with a priest or deacon here at St. Thomas. By the conclusion of that first meeting you will have a date set for your wedding if you are being married here at St. Thomas Aquinas. The parish will not set a date for the wedding until this first meeting has been completed.